Thursday, September 08, 2005

IQ - "Good day, my lord. What, at your book so hard?"

(that's from some guy named Will, in a play he wrote about Henry VI)

I used to be much more of a bookworm, when I was younger. Devoured the things. Nancy Drew, Roald Dahl, classics, Little House on the Prairie, cheesy Scholastic "zany facts" books, you name it. The really special days in the summertime were those when Mom would load us in the car for a trip into town to the library. Let loose to prowl the stacks, and pick out anything we wanted? Oh, joy!

I don't know when it happened, but at some point closer to adulthood, I stopped reading much at all. In fact, by the time I'd made my New Year's resolution in 2001 or 2002 to read more, I don't think I'd picked up a book in 10+ years.

I'm still not the type to go through a book a week -- there's just too much else going on (TV, pipe band, movies....and now the Cute Blonde Boy :) ). But I enjoy reading whatever book the GABsters have selected for the next book club meeting. And there's that Harry Potter series, which I could re-read several times and still find new things within. So here's today's Insightful Question (presented in 2 parts):

1) What's your favourite book of all time? Or series of books?
2) What book are you reading at the moment, or have you read most recently?

As for me, my favourite series is the Harry Potter series (though Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles held my attention pretty well, as did the few Sharon Kay Penman works I got through).

But the book that brings me back time and again is (promise not to laugh? really?) The Outsiders. If I've read it once, I've read it 60 times. And I still cry when I get to the part where Dallas is visiting Johnny in the hospital. It's not Shakespeare, or even Tolkein. But it takes me back to an era that I wish I'd been alive in, and to the time when I was reading it originally.

And I'm currently getting back through the 5th HP a bit at a time (as my computer freezes, I can get another chapter done). And I'll be buying the next GAB selection (something about Dressing Your Family In Denim) very shortly.

And I'll do my damnedest to get this one read. Honestly.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sus mused...

"But the book that brings me back time and again is (promise not to laugh? really?) The Outsiders."

It's interesting that you mention "The Outsiders" cause I too talked about it over at my blog. You probably know this but it's coming out on DVD.

Fri Sept 09, 09:26:00 am  
Blogger Nichelle mused...

"The Stand" by Stephen King, and "Watership Down" (can't think of the author right now....) Close runner-ups would be "A Prayer For Owen Meany" and "The World According To Garp" - again, can't think of the author... Got too much on my mind right now.

Fri Sept 09, 11:01:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home