Monday, August 29, 2005

Ah, wilderness.....

So, I took a much-needed day off on Friday, and went camping with my beau (known better to you as CBB). Boy, I'd forgotten how much I like being out in the mountains.

As if to punctuate the need for getting away from the city for a while, our drive out of civilization was rudely stopped short by people gawking at the balloons at Chatfield Reservoir. The gear came flying forward and nearly smushed the poor dogs. A quick re-arranging by CBB, and we were back on our way (though a bit more cautiously).

I'm glad we went on a Friday. We had pretty much no traffic on the way up, found a selection of camping spots from which to choose, and had our stuff set on the picnic table to save our chosen spot by 10:00 (why is it that we trust that nobody'll take our stuff when up in the mountains, but we wouldn't leave that stuff sitting outside our back door at home? Hmm.) Then we took off for a nice hike with the pups. Once Sya (my GoofDog) had time to work all the "oh, joy, oh, rapture, oh how exciting" energy out of her, we had a pretty nice walk. Gorgeous weather (I'm not yet convinced that CBB doesn't have some sort of Connection -- we've just had the best luck with weather), not too difficult a trail (just enough to remind me that I need to get into better shape), and fantastic scenery, which goes without saying.

Back at camp that afternoon, everything pretty much just fell into place. It didn't seem to strike CBB as odd that I had a small tent for Sya, nor did I bat an eyelash at the fact that his tent was truly a 2-man deal. Here's where I'm coming from on this: If I'd suggested to The Ex that we spend a night in the mountains, sleeping more or less on the ground, in a bit of nylon that didn't have enough room for a mini-bar, I think I'd probably have been invited to bugger off. Ah but, you say, not all camping has to be quite so primitive. Some people, when they think "camping", think RV, think 4-room tents with awnings and hanging bug zappers, think stereos powered by small generators.

But not me. And not The CBB. And for some reason, that just struck me. Here's a guy who's perfectly happy to sit and have a cup of tea while just listening to the wind in the trees. Who's alright with taking a walk in the woods and not bringing along a beer. Who has a Coleman camping stove, and probably also owns a Svia (or some other tiny backpacking) stove. Who had the foresight to suggest that maybe my trademark jeans weren't the best apparel for camping (yanno, those fancy-schmancy REI hiking pants were really quite comfortable!).

It really was just the nicest mini-break I've had in I-don't-know-how-long. It was like a little validation of my upbringing, that in fact, I wasn't the only person to want to camp like this, that there was nothing odd at all about bringing your dinner in a couple of ready-to-boil pouches, that a handful of trail mix and a Jolly rancher makes a fine dessert for lunch on the trail.

And I'm starting to be really sad at the idea of summer being nearly done, because I'd really like to have another go at that. But then last night, he suggested snowshoeing. A whole different type of Adventure that I'd not considered. Looks like I'll need a different pair of REI pants.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sus mused...

"(why is it that we trust that nobody'll take our stuff when up in the mountains, but we wouldn't leave that stuff sitting outside our back door at home? Hmm.)"

Well....when was the last time a squirrel teamed up with the bears to rob ya blind of yer knapsacks? *LOL*

Sounds like ya had a loverly time. Gosh it's been years since I went camping. Defintely miss the smell of pine trees and that wonderfully cool crisp morning air.

Mon Aug 29, 11:26:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Yeah, it was truly an extra enjoyable camping trip. Beautiful surroundings, good weather, and the most excellent company. Even the dogs.

And, yes, I do have a "tiny backpacking stove", although it's not a Svia. It's the MSR PocketRocket, not to be confused with that other heat generator that you ladies are thinking about.

And although we didn't bring any beer on our walks, we did bring a nice selection of potent potables for imbibing at the campsite.

An extra special treat was being able to have a camp fire. Thanks to the wet summer we've been having, most fire restrictions have been lifted and we were able to get a nice fire going and roast marshmallows. Camping just isn't the same without that.

And it was so nice to go camping with someone else who had pretty well the same expectations of what it would be like, what to bring, etc. It was splendid!

Tue Aug 30, 10:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Where did you end up camping? It sounds like you had a great time! Let mek now if you would like suggestions of other places to try! Maybe we could actually go together sometime!

Sara

Tue Aug 30, 01:32:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

In case anyone cares to see a few pictures from our trip, stop by Green Mountain Camping

Tue Aug 30, 03:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Ah, camping and backpacking...
I miss having people to do that with and the beautiful scenery of Colorado to do it in. But, I have enough gear for at least 2 people, so anytime you want to borrow it...it is collecting dust in a box in Colorado.

And snowshoeing, if you have never been, there is nothing more beautiful and peaceful. Talk CCB into taking you on a hut trip...early in the season is good. Might luck out and have the hut to yourself. If not, oh well, you will end up meeting a lot a great new people.

For the record, the ex still won't go camping (I asked at one point after moving to Chicago, and let's just say, bugger was not the word I heard)...but brewery tours, now that is a great idea!

Thu Sept 01, 04:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home