Tuesday, August 30, 2005

IQ - What's valuable?

I'm watching, with relative disbelief, the havoc that Katrina has wrought in the south. I truly can't imagine ever getting enough rain to flood the streets (since we don't get enough precipitation here to flood my patio, never mind an entire city). And enduring winds strong enough to literally open a domed arena like a can of tuna is beyond my ken.

But I found myself wondering, how will these people rebuild their lives? How many pets have drowned because this just came on so quickly? Did they plan ahead enough to have all their documents in a watertight, portable box? Would I be prepared for something like this? Which brings up today's Insightful Question (perhaps not as lighthearted as the past ones, but something to think about, anyway):

In a natural disaster like a flood or fire, presuming that the kids and pets are safely evacuated, what items do you gather in your one armload that you can grab before things are destroyed?

As for me, I actually do have most of my important documents in a small file box (though not fire-proof...must rectify), so I'd grab that, my Pooh Bear that I've had since I was 4 months old, the book of stories that Nana & Gramps made for me, and probably my box of poems. A big armload, but I'd manage.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nichelle mused...

my wedding pix, the Boy's baby pix, important documents....can't think of much else that I could'nt replace...

Tue Aug 30, 03:33:00 pm  
Blogger Pat Angello mused...

As long as my family is safe, I'm not too worried about pics, etc.

This is making me feel horrible, but I keep finding myself thinking about how the Saints will actually play football this year! Is the stadium toast? Will they play a ton of road games? Can they temporarily relocate to Baton Rouge? Am I a pig for letting these thoughts enter my head?

Wed Aug 31, 10:00:00 am  
Blogger Bill Purdy mused...

Nothing. Everything of value was excluded in your question. I'd rather not have to carry anything else, anyway.

I've been irritated for almost 24 hours by a headline I read yesterday: "Mississippi Governor: 'It's our tsunami.'" Like there's any basis for comparison whatsoever.

All day today, whenever my wife told me about someone flying into a panic at work, that's been my response: "It's [his] tsunami." Probably will inhabit my lexicon for a while.

Wed Aug 31, 12:48:00 pm  
Blogger Sus mused...

Actually, I'm a weirdo cause I've given this A LOT of thought for most of my life.

I'd do my best to take my camera equipment (minus the tripods & lights & such) and ALL the negatives/slides/memory disks. My entire life and memories is in these items.

Fri Sept 02, 08:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home