Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Everyone, this is Stanley.....

.....Stanley, this is everyone.

When I checked my mail yesterday, after neglecting it all weekend (I was in Estes Park at the Scottish Festival), I found a letter not addressed to me, but with my address on it. It wasn't addressed to the person who lived there before me, either. I know I shouldn't open other people's mail, but this was from an elementary school, and written in about a 4th-grader's hand, so I thought I'd see what it was.

It's Flat Stanley!

It seems there's a book about Flat Stanley, and how he gets squished by a falling bulletin board, but then he discovers that he can travel anywhere for just the cost of a stamp, not that he's all flat. So this class in Iowa has just finished reading Flat Stanley, and they've all colored, cut out and mailed off their own versions. I rather suspect that little Natalie Finken thinks she's sent her Flat Stanley to her Aunt or Cousin Emily, but he's landed in my hands instead.

And I'm thrilled about it!

So far, I haven't been able to take Stanley anywhere very exciting -- just out to play fetch with the dog, and to meet the OreoKitty, but I'll see if we can't find some more interesting venues to bring him to.


After a couple of weeks, I'm meant to send him back to Natalie, along with an account of his adventures. I bet I'll be sad to see him go.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nichelle mused...

2 weeks? Does that mean Stanley cant come to GAB Club? ;-)

Tue Sept 13, 04:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

Tape Stanley to your drum for Shelby's on Friday. Photo opps perhaps?

Tue Sept 13, 09:20:00 pm  
Blogger Andrew mused...

When I lived in Arizona, a friend took Flat Stanley on camping and hiking expeditions. Had a web site showcasing his travels and everything.

He had another friend who's name was also Stanley so we were able to enjoy the surreal experience of seeing photos of Flat Stanley standing alongside 3D Stanley.

Tue Sept 13, 09:59:00 pm  
Blogger Nichelle mused...

btw, how did Estes go?

Wed Sept 14, 10:30:00 am  
Blogger Pat Angello mused...

You can join the president!

http://youcantmakeitup.blogspot.com/2005/09/roe-v-wade.html

Wed Sept 14, 01:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home