Wednesday, September 28, 2005

"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?"

I know, I know, it's been a while since last I posted. Frankly, I've been too busy with the CBB to think about being all clever for the blog. But today, I had a couple of vaguely related thoughts, so here they are.

First off, when I came into work this morning, not only was it gray and hazy outside (which, as you may know, I LOVE), but it was a bit gray and hazy in the office (which, oddly enough, I don't love). It seems the guys who get here before me have something against illumination.

We have these cheerful flourescent lights, and the little square frames dotting the ceiling every 10 feet or so each contain 3 bulbs. Most days, 2 of the 3 bulbs in each square are on. But this morning, I'm only allowed to have 1 bulb on, which makes it this sortof annoying half-light. And since my body responds quite noticeably to the light levels around me, I'm fighting off this urge to go curl up on a couch and drift off to napville. And yes, I could go try to figure out which magic combination of switches would turn on 2 bulbs, but knowing how much I hate it when someone else goes mucking with the lights, I'll just grin and bear it.

On the upside, I got to wake up this morning to not just an alarm, but to gradual light, as well. We haven't hit the end of Daylight Savings Time yet, but I know we will soon, and when we do, I'll be waking up in what seems like pitch black. Which is fine with me, until it's time to turn on the bathroom light. And I just hate the feeling when your pupils are contracting to pinhole-sized openings. It makes for kindof a Cranky Pam.

So I bought a progression light alarm clock from Hammacher Schlemmer, which starts a gradual light about 30 minutes before the alarm is set to go off. So when it does go off, your eyes are already somewhat adjusted to the light, and there's no stumbling across the room to find the alarm. Yes, I need to put mine across the room, or I'd just reach over and hit Snooze, and never make it to work, or the store, or reheharsal, or book club or anything. I really like my sleep.

This new clock seemed to work pretty well, though I was a little annoyed to find that hitting the Snooze meant that the light went off, too. I haven't yet toyed with the aroma warming feature that it has -- I can have that little gradating lightbulb warm up some aroma beads that release a scent somewhat like coffee, or perhaps lavender, or patchouli (ugh). Or I can add a few drops of my own essential oils to a felt disc and have that scent wake me up. We'll see.

And yet, even with all those features, I'd rather wake up to a bit of Sunshine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sus mused...

I've had a sunshine clock for about 7 years now and it's defintely one of the best investments I ever made. It doesn't have the snazzy features your's has but it does the trick. Much much nicer and calmer way to wake-up than having a bullhorn stuck in my face!

Sat Oct 01, 11:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home