Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Do you smell something?

I'm not crazy.

Okay, I might be, but it's not because I think pine trees have different smells. As long as I can remember, I have enjoyed stopping by the occasional pine tree to sniff it. Why? Because some of them smell like vanilla, chocolate, butterscotch, and the rare one like strawberry. Not all of them smell like anything other than plain ol' pine tree, but you never know. I think it's mostly the Ponderosas that have this unique scent. My Gramps thought we were nutters, even though he had a very plainly chocolate-scented one in his front yard.

Yesterday, I had confirmation from Cute Blonde Boy that the tree in front of my townhome has a distinct butterscotch scent to it. It's my personal theory that all these scents are part of what make the smell of a Rocky Mountain forest so divine. Sortof an ice cream sundae potpourri.

And while the only time I'm likely to actually hug a tree is if I'm lost (seriously -- best information I ever got from Girl Scouts), you'll often find me taking time to smell not only the roses, but the pines.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous mused...

As a matter of fact, when I was in high school, I was a counselor for Balarat (a day camp facility owned by Denver Public Schools).
We used to teach the kids (most of which had never been outside Denver, let alone in a forest) that the Ponderosa pines have distinct smells. The ones we ran across were mostly vanilla or butterscotch ones. Boy, they do smell good - I need to take more time to smell the trees.......

Wed Jul 27, 11:43:00 am  
Blogger Andrew mused...

You inspired me to go out and start sniffin' the pine trees on our property. Got a vanilla one on my third try. But even the pine smelling ones smell good.

Fri Jul 29, 09:30:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home