Thursday, June 15, 2006

Stop the world!

If you felt a big jolt last night, don't worry. It was just the earth screeching to a halt on its axis.

Why?

I bought a skirt.

Not because I had to (you know, like for a wedding or special church service), but because I wanted to.

It's cute, and airy, and summery.

For those who don't know me better, this is an occurance that hasn't happened since about 1987, when I bought a really cute mustard yellow skirt mostly because it said it was a size 5, and I was not, but it fit anyway. I wore that skirt with a sleeveless mock turtleneck leotard that made my chest look bigger than it was (I had the non-flabby arms of a 19-year old then......ah, those were the days), and black ballerina flats, imagining myself very artsy as I floated from the dance building to the theatre building to the dorm, before coming back to the theatre building for rehearsal of whatever play I was in that week.

You see, the trouble with my figure is that it's a little short. Not short enough to qualify as "petite" in the eyes of most clothing manufacturers, but short enough to look really stubby when wearing what would be mid-calf on normal women. No capri pants for me. And, as I've been given hips designed for child bearing (regardless of the fact that I'm not certain I'll use them for that purpose), things like mini skirts are right out, as well.

Add in to this the fact that my ancestors didn't know what the sun was, so my alabaster skin (okay, mottled alabaster....stupid freckles) hasn't lent itself to being displayed in public until very recently. Thank goodness for society coming to the realization that deep tans = leather skin later in life. So, after getting ridiculed by a complete stranger for my white legs sometime in college, I have put away shorts and skirts for the most part.

But now, I have a skirt. A cute one. One that can be worn with a simple white t-shirt (hooray!). And one that can be worn with the cute espadrille scuffs I bought the other day (which is another fashion stretch for me, but that's another Mini Mumbling).

I have a skirt.

And I plan to wear it.

In public.

Hold on to something, the earth is fixin' to stop spinning again.

4 Comments:

Blogger DEJO mused...

I thought that big jolt was caused by my Oilers beating the 'Canes in overtime. Guess I was wrong.

Still, Go Oilers Go!

Thu Jun 15, 07:45:00 pm  
Blogger Pat Angello mused...

Yikes!

Fri Jun 23, 05:55:00 pm  
Blogger Bill Purdy mused...

For Dejo:

Ahem.


For Pam:

Good for you! Wear it proud!

Sat Jul 08, 12:27:00 pm  
Blogger Sus mused...

So when are we gonna see a picture miss cutie? ;)

Mon Jul 24, 11:41:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home