Thursday, June 15, 2006

Passionate about getting out of here.... (Vent-i grande, please)

******RANT ALERT******

Pardon me while I vent.

I got a request from a coworker in another state to get a screen capture of something that was only available to people living in Colorado. Since my work machine IP doesn't show me as being in Colorado (though I am, really I am), this meant that I needed to get the screen capture from home. Sure, no problem, I log on at home occasionally.

I did so the other night, did a WHOLE lotta searching around to get the stupid thing to show, got a screen capture and sent it off to her. Since I didn't have my work machine, I sent it from my home e-mail. Then, it was off to bed for me.

As some of you may know, my Yahoo e-mail has an auto-signature that promotes my other business, Passion Parties. Nothing too risque, I don't think. It mentions "passion" and "toys", but doesn't go into detail or anything.

2 days later, I come back from lunch to an e-mail from my boss, with HR cc'd, berating me for "Honestly, what were you thinking?" (that's a quote). Apparently, said coworker took offense to not only the tag line, but the website that you land on when you click on the link. If she was offended at the idea of "passion" or "toys", why on earth did she click to the page where it goes into more detail?? And, as I'm on eggshells right now anyway, this put me over the edge, emotionally. Officially, the call with HR was just to remind me that some things are inappropriate at work.

But wasn't it just as inappropriate for her to open my site, call others to her desk to gawk, then go to my boss, without so much as letting me know that her values were somehow compromised my my effort to make a little more income?
Ugh.

If I thought I could make the mortgage payment by working at Taco Bell or Barnes & Noble, I'd be filling out that generic application form right now. I just can't respect this team as much as I need to, to keep my values and emotions intact.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Mini Mumblings. Please allow a bit of time for the sense of humour and wit to return. Thank you for your patience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat Angello mused...

You are now officially "that person" at work.

Fri Jun 23, 05:47:00 pm  
Blogger Sus mused...

Good gods almighties....I tell ya Europe is looking more and more inviting every day. *groan*

Mon Jul 24, 11:48:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home