Monday, June 05, 2006

smart Girl

Last week, the CBB and I went to his hometown of Edmonton, AB, to visit family (and torture them with my lack of left-hand bling), and just relax/hang out. Pretty nice way to spend a week not working, I'd say.

His brother, Jerome was kind enough to schlep us around to various and sundry functions, but -- as happens to the best of us -- he had to go back to work during our last few days there. Oh, I'll bet the Edmonton public transit system would've been just fine, but I jumped at the possibility of driving one of my dream cars.

Called the rental place, confirmed the availability of a single smart car (that's the brand, not just a description), and they sent over their finest (okay, only) shuttle driver to fetch us back to the rental counter.

As we pulled into the lot, I spied the teeny car waiting there for me.

It's lime green! {squeal of joy}

It's a cabriolet!!!!!
{louder squeal of joy, accompanied by a little happy chair dancing}


Yes, friends, I not only got to drive a smart, but got to drive one that was very nearly exactly as I would order it, if a windfall the size of a car payment dropped itself into my lap.

Oh, it's cute, alright. And fun to drive, as well. This was one of the sportier models, and had tiptronic shifting, with the option of using the wheel-mounted paddles to not have to move your hands from 10 and 2.

Ya know, it doesn't feel nearly as small inside as it looks from the outside. We even managed to get all our luggage and shopping inside, to get ourselves to the airport. Okay, it took the type of spatial arranging skills that led me to conquer Tetris, but we did it!

So, now I have more reasons to love these little guys. Cute, fuel-efficient, and FUN! And yes, they're safe. And yes, they can go highway speeds. Sheesh. These things are all over the place in Europe, where they are also known to care about safety and speed.

But with my limit of 2 carry-ons already in-hand, I had to give up the keys to the smart to the nice lady at the Budget counter. If I got creative, though, I might be able to fit it in the overhead bin.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Pat Angello mused...

AWESOME CAR!

BTW, we have KT's dad's Mini Cooper S for a few days if you want to take it for a spin. Although it's a little difficult to drive, it's pretty dang fun!

Mon Jun 12, 05:51:00 pm  
Blogger Pat Angello mused...

Oh, and I TOTALLY challenge you to a Tetris tourney!

Mon Jun 12, 05:53:00 pm  
Blogger Sus mused...

Dang I'm jealous! Although I'm still not sure I'd feel safe in that small a vehicle...a Mini I could handle but I don't think anything smaller. It is adorable though.

And what in the world is "tiptronic shifting, with the option of using the wheel-mounted paddles to not have to move your hands from 10 and 2."????

Tue Jun 13, 10:07:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown mused...

Aww man, your experiences and responses to the Smart just make me want to get one even more! I first fell in-love with the practicality of them back in 2004 when I first saw them in Germany.

Danke!

Sun Jan 20, 09:02:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home