Thursday, August 04, 2005

Sum, not the parts

So, in the midst of my giddy drive home from a fantastic date tonight with Cute Blonde Boy, I came to realize something.

The parts don't matter so much.

Stop it. I know where you're going, and that road isn't on this particular map.

It occurred to me that I don't know so many things about him, and yet am increasingly mad about him.

And he reads this, so I'm going out on a limb by putting this much of my heart out there for all to see and reject or critique, but here goes. So often, when I have a crush on someone, I focus on the individual components, as if they were ingredients in a recipe.
"Does he dance? Check. Do I know his political bent? Check. Is he interested in the same bands as I am? Check." And so on. But I fail to see that, even with the best ingredients, it still adds up to rhubarb pie, and I just don't like rhubarb pie.

Nope. This time, I know comparatively little. And I don't really care. Sure, eventually, it would be nice to know if he's willing to go Christmas shopping with me, or what his favourite colour is, but right now, I'm having a hell of a time just spending time with him. It's chocolate cake, and whether the flour is Gold Medal or generic, whether the cocoa is Ghirardelli or Nestle, it all adds up to a yummy chocolate cake.

Eventually, I'll get around to asking him about piddly stuff such as his take on the war in Iraq, his past relationships, or whether he likes rhubarb pie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat Angello mused...

My advice (assuming you actually want it)? If things feel comfortable and good, don't start questioning! Katy and I just hit it off from the start. There were no games and no BS. We just had fun together and didn't let little things get in the way. There are some small things she does that drive me a little loopy, and I have NO idea how she puts up with half of my crap, but, when all is said and done, we have a great time together all the time!

Just sit back and enjoy it!

BTW, I know I only spoke with the two of you very briefly, but he seems like a nice guy. Plus, I need new friends! Keep things going at least until we get to know him better.

Fri Aug 05, 11:16:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous mused...

It was wonderful IM'ing with ya this eve and I'm truly so very happy for you. May your good fortune rub off!!

Mon Aug 08, 10:35:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home