Friday, July 17, 2009

Long time, no mumble.

I blame Facebook.

I get all the updates I need from people I know (and many I hardly know) in nice little snippets.

I'm convinced I have some sort of ADD, and that's not helped by getting away with not reading more than 2 sentences (max) about anyone else's life.

Still, I find myself this morning feeling like I need to mutter on a bit more than a FB-sized statement, so here we go.

I'm at a crossroads. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm on the (career) highway I've been on for about 9 years now, and starting to look longingly at the side roads. They'd let me go a little slower (which means not as good a salary), but they'd almost certainly be more interesting.

I like ad trafficking -- the instant gratification (could that be related to the suspected ADD?) is something I thrive on. I like that things are always changing. But I'm pretty uncertain of my future in this company (since my friend/coworker got sacked unexpectedly, and for reasons that I think were made up), and I'm not sure how much I can trust my superiors. And that's not a happy work environment.

But the prospect of my stock options panning out (which could easily mean 2+ years' salary equivalent) is a pretty strong draw. That's probably at least a couple of years away, though -- and I don't know if I can be that patient.

I do the Passion Parties, which I love. But I've been a bit of a slug recently, and haven't done more than 2 parties in the past 8-10 months.. That's about to change, as I have 3 scheduled in the next month, and 2 more potentials 8 weeks from now.

What I'm looking into right now is being a home-based travel agent.

I don't have any delusions of getting free travel and jetting all over the world, or of making millions at this -- I know better than that. But if I can supplement our income a little bit, and get the joy of helping people plan their vacations (probably focusing on Europe), and maybe get a little discount or upgrade here and there, that would be grand.

Does this classify as a mid-life crisis? Or does that need to involve a sports car of some sort?

1 Comments:

Blogger Sus mused...

While I doubt you have ADD, what it sounds like to me is that you've acquired the same impatience that most of society has these days. The whole instant gratification thing has only gotten more insane every year. Yikes, look at Twitter! It's impossible to keep up the pace though and I think you're wise to be considering a mellower lifestyle.

Wed Sept 02, 08:23:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home